Monday, November 4, 2013

Unity: Episode 1. Pilot

   In the town of Unity, the county seat of Antioch County, and a few hours South of Adam's Landing, inside Caney Head Chapel, Summer Marx feels a hand touch her shoulder as she has prayed for her newborn Son, Jake Russell Marx's return. Miles Caswell, Patriarch of The Caswell Family and Co-Owner of the Chapel, along with his Wife, Mary Love Caswell, stands behind her, as she turns around and asks Miles "Are you sure he will?" Miles looks at Summer, and asks her "Are you lost?" Summer somberly tells him "I am. My little boy was kidnapped, and I want him back. This is punishment I think. I've really done some horrible things." Miles sits next to Summer, and tells her "And all can be forgiven also." Summer tells Miles the story of her life, as he sits and listens silently.
   Meanwhile in Downtown Unity, sits the home of Hazel Craig, Oldest Daughter of Miles and Mary Caswell. Hazel walks downstairs and yells "Daddy?" Hazel looks outside, and notices her car is gone, and grows concerned, as Miles has the early stages of Alzheimer's, yet his memory seems to be returning. Hazel paces the floor for a moment, as she thinks, and she says to herself "He's at the Chapel." Hazel begins to pick up the phone, to call her Son, Kane Craig, as the door opens, and Hazel's eyes fills with tears, as she rushes to her Mother, Mary Love Caswell, as she cries "Mama! You're back." Mary hugs Hazel, and she too, has tears in her eyes, as she tells her Daughter "I stopped by the farm and saw the remains." Hazel gets emotional, as she tells her Mother "I have looked for a contractor, but haven't found one yet." Mary tells Hazel "Don't worry about that dear. I think I know who I'll hire to rebuild the house." Hazel asks "Who?" Mary tells her Daughter "Floyd Jackson." Hazel is stunned, as she asks her Mother "Wasn't he the first man you fell in love with Mama?" Mary looks at Hazel and tells her Daughter "He was, but he is highly regarded when it comes to construction. He actually designed the Chapel when Miles and I restored it and added the expansion. He was always great at his craft." Hazel is quiet, and Mary asks "Where's my Popper?" Hazel looks down, and sighs "Mama he left. I think he went to the Chapel. He doesn't need to be driving. Not with the Alzheimer's." Mary reminds her Daughter "The lord is working miracles on him Hazel. His memory's coming back. He called me the other day." Hazel is silent, as she tells her Mother "I know Mama. Something doesn't add up though." Mary looks at Hazel, and asks "What do you mean by that?" Hazel tells her Mother "Mama, Alzheimer's doesn't get better. You need to stop being so trusting of people. And look at things as they are. Something's definitely going on, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if.." Mary stops Hazel and tells her sternly "Hazel I won't hear it. Faye wouldn't hurt your Daddy. She wouldn't." Hazel tells her Mother "I have never trusted her, and I wouldn't. And Lynn's tearing our family apart." Mary takes a deep breath, and tells her Daughter "I don't want to talk about this. I'm going to see my Popper." Mary walks out, as she heads over to Caney Head Chapel, as Hazel shakes her head and says "Open your eyes Mama."
   At the Caswell Estate, where Reverend Lynn Caswell and Faye Caswell reside, Lynn hears Jake cry, and Faye rocks him, as she tells the baby "Mommy's here. Mommy's here." Lynn looks at his Wife and warns her "He needs his Mother Faye." Faye looks at her Husband, and snaps "Why Lynn, so you can go screw another whore? Oh the good reverend doing deeds under the sheets I see?" Lynn yells back "You kidnapped a child Faye. And that child is the Attorney General's Grandson! And all my cousins in Adam's Landing has a bounty out." Faye looks at Lynn, and tells her Husband calmly "Well Hubby, they can kiss my ass. This is our child. We can get things right this time, unlike we did with our two other mistakes." Lynn grows silent, as Younger Daughter, Sage Caswell walks downstairs, with her bags packed, and tells her parents "The two of you make me sick." Faye and Lynn snap back "You make us sick also." Sage gets upset, as she yells "As soon as I turn 18 next week, my ass is out of here. I'll probably go join my Sister in Adam's Landing!" Faye looks at Lynn, and hands Jake to him, and grabs Sage, and warns her "If you dare say a damn word to anybody about your new Brother, I will kill you Sage." Sage looks at her Parents, and tells them "Karma will do both of you in." Faye walks over, and pulls out a knife, and tells her Daughter "Karma doesn't exist, but you know better than to test me." Sage storms out, as Lynn tells Faye "This isn't going to end well. My career's at stake.." Faye yells "And it's your fault also." Suddenly, there's a knock at the door, and outside stands Lynn's Youngest Sister, Janet Mitchell, and the lights goes out inside the Caswell Estate, as Janet looks down, and sends a text, as she returns to her home, The Mitchell Manor.
   Meanwhile on the outskirts of Unity, sits the Gore Farm, where Addie Gore resides in a modest home, as her Son Evan has a Mansion close by, and her Youngest Daughter, Angie lives on the property as well. Addie sits in her living room, as she grades papers, and her Son, Evan walks inside and laughs "Why am I not surprised you are in here grading papers." Addie tells her Son "I love teaching, It's a beautiful thing to impact so many young children's lives." Evan asks "Where's my Sister?" Addie tells him "Likely doing the same thing I'm doing." Evan walks around his Mother's living room, where canvas lays around, and Addie's paintings hangs upon the walls, and he tells his Mother "With all you do Mama, you don't need to keep teaching. You are a world renowned Author, and yet you still teach after 40 years." Addie tells her Son "Evan, I appreciate your concerns, but I'm not retiring, and I'm not going to listen to this." Evan tells his Mother "I just worry about you Mama. That's all." Addie looks at her Son, and tells him "You have always been a great Son. But I will know when my time is done." Evan hears a car pull into the driveway, as he looks at his Mother, and Addie and Evan walks out onto the front porch, as Andy Jackson and Bree Jackson Corbin pulls up, and Addie asks them "May I help you?" Andy looks at Addie, and asks "Where's Caswell Acres? It's on this road, but we didn't see Mary and Miles' home place." Addie tells them "It burned down a few weeks ago." Evan looks at Andy for a moment, and goes "You're the new reverend of Caney Head Chapel aren't you?" Andy nods, and Addie sighs "Well Andy welcome to Unity. Mary and Miles are staying with Hazel Craig currently. She lives off of the Antioch Square." Evan tells them "Follow me and I'll lead you there." Andy and Bree gets into their car, as Evan leads them towards Hazel's home, and Addie walks inside, as she finishes her work, and has the radio on, as she hears of Jake Marx' kidnapping, and Addie has a thought for a moment, as she grades papers and says to herself "This could be a great novel."
   At a restaurant in Unity, called "The Gore Room", which is located on the Antioch Square, and was once part of Gore's Department Store, Phillip Mitchell, and Kane Craig discuss the issues involving the scandal that has rocked Caney Head Chapel. Phillip tells his Nephew "Your Mother and Aunt are both convinced he's after more." Kane, looks at his Uncle, and tells him "Uncle Phillip, we have to think carefully before taking action. Papaw has Alzheimer's, and Mamaw has returned home." Phillip checks his phone, and Kane checks his text, and says "She's thinks it's a miracle about Papaw's memory." Phillip leans across the table to Kane, and tells him "Kane, Lynn and Faye Caswell's two of the most screwed up people I've ever met in my life. That smug bastard's trying to take control of his family estate. Janet is convinced, Hazel's convinced, I'm convinced, and Rose bolted town.." Kane reminds his Uncle "She was also escaping Todd also." Phillip tells his Nephew "Todd was released from Prison and left town." Kane asks "How did you find out?" Phillip laughs "My last name is Mitchell Kane. We find out what happens in this town, Alexandria and I know everything that happens in this town, and you need to find some stores to fill that mall before I call in on that loan." Kane rolls his eyes, as he grows frustrated, and tells his Uncle "Unity's a small town, and no major Department Store will take the space. How about you and Alexandra open in the space? Downtown's dying." Phillip gets up, and tells his Nephew "It would be the dumbest move we make to operate two locations, in a town that has a falling economy." Phillips walks out, and reminds Kane "You have until the end of the week." Phillip heads off, as Kane begins to head out, and bumps into Alexandra Mitchell Boyd, Oldest Sister of Phillip Mitchell, and she tells him "Get your shit together Kane. I have ideas of my own." Alexandra walks out, as Kane feels defeated, and calls Evan, and doesn't get a response, and Kane sighs "I'm screwed." A woman looks at Kane, and says "I can save you."
    Back at Hazel's home, Hazel sits in her living room, as she looks up and prays "Please open Mama's eyes." Janet arrives, as she walks inside, and tells her Oldest Sister "I went over to Lynn and Faye's, and neither of them opened the door." Hazel asks her Sister "So he didn't sign those resignation papers?" Janet shakes her head, and tells Hazel "I heard some fighting inside, and a baby cry." Hazel is silent, and looks at her Sister, as they both have the same thought. At the Caswell Estate, Faye rocks Jake to sleep, as Lynn sits in his study, and picks up the phone. At Caswell Acres, the home place of Mary and Miles, Sage sits outside, as she looks at the charred remains of her Grandparents home, and cries "I hate you Mom and Dad. I hope both of you burn in hell!" Meanwhile Andy and Bree follows Evan to Hazel's home, as Andy drives and Bree sits next to him, and they notice a pickup truck parked in front of a bar as they near their destination, and Bree tells her Cousin "That truck looks like Uncle Floyd's." Meanwhile at Caney Head Chapel, Miles has listened to Summer, and puts his arm around her, and says to her "Come with me umm." Summer tells him "My name is Summer Marx." Miles goes "Yes Yes. Summer. Come with me. We'll take care of you." Mary walks inside the Chapel, and sees Miles and Summer and yells "Popper!" Miles and Summer turns around, as Miles and Mary run into each others arms and Miles cries "Thank God you're home Mama." Miles tells his Wife "This young girl needs some help." Mary looks at Summer, and hugs her, and tells her Husband "Miles, she's Ruth's Granddaughter. And she will come home with us."

 
 

1 comment:

  1. VERY GOOD ! I THINK I AM GOING TO LIKE THIS NEW UNITY !! LOL CONGRATS GRADY, YOU DID AN OUTSTANDING JOB !

    ReplyDelete